NEW: Tap Into Technology Grant Program
The application deadline has now passed for this grant
The Nantucket and Martha’s Vineyard Chambers of Commerce, with support from the Town of Nantucket and Dukes County, are delighted to announce the 2021 TAP INTO TECHNOLOGY grant program. Funded by a Massachusetts Office of Business Development Regional Pilot Program award, this grant program will provide consulting resources and financial grants to be used by island small businesses to select and implement the right technological solutions based on their industry, target customer, and stage of business. Grants of up to $7,500 will be offered to 16 local businesses – eight on each island – through a competitive application process.
While one size does not fit all, our two islands, each heavily reliant on leisure tourism, are home to similar small businesses with needs that can be fulfilled faster and more efficiently through this collaborative program design. Tap into Technology includes three important components:
- The Chambers will identify qualified consultants that will be matched with program participants. After a thorough needs assessment, the consultants will help the business owners determine the best technology solutions to meet their business needs.
- Once the technology plan is approved, up to $7,500 per business will be available to offset the cost of purchasing equipment and/or licensing software and implementing the technology solution.
- Participants will be encouraged to work collaboratively with like participants from the other island as they go through this process.
Eligibility Criteria and Application Process
Who is Eligible to Apply?
Businesses must have their primary operation based on Nantucket or Martha’s Vineyard, be a member of their island Chamber of Commerce, and be a for-profit entity. Businesses must also have been in operation for at least 14 months.
Applications must be submitted in electronic format, as one Word or PDF document (separate pictures of each application page is not an acceptable format). Email applications to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Monday, April 26: Application process opens.
- Monday, May 10: Grant applications are due by 5:00 p.m.
- Friday, May 14: Applicants will be notified if they are receiving an award.
- Monday, May 17: Mandatory Orientation for ALL grant recipients from 9:00 - 10:30 a.m. (Zoom)
- Monday, June 28: Technology plan deadline.
How Can the Grant Funding Be Used
Island-based small businesses can use these grants to ensure their capacity to adopt technology to increase revenue and/or reduce expenses, further strengthening and expanding the regional economy of our islands. Examples of how grant funding can be used include:
- Retailers building or strengthening their e-commerce capabilities or enabling contactless in store shopping and payments.
- Hotels/inns implementing contactless check-in/out and virtual customer service/concierge;
- Restaurants integrating reservation, ordering, and POS systems for in-person and take-out dining;
- Real estate agents using contactless check-ins for rentals and virtual showings;
- Tour operators offering virtual options for traditional tours;
- Event planners using technology to hold virtual events.
Examples of how grant funding may not be used include:
- General advertising, marketing or social media promotions.
- Expenses already covered through another grant program.
- Technology that is already ordered/licensed or about to be implemented.
- Marketing consultants and related services.
TAP INTO TECHNOLOGY grant funds will not be awarded directly to the grant recipient. Invoices totaling the grant award will be submitted to the respective Chambers, and the Chamber will issue payment to vendors. All grant related expenditures must be pre-approved by the Chamber. Unused grant funds will be reallocated to the Chambers.
All grant awardees must participate fully in the program to realize their award, including orientation, meeting with the consultant, and developing a plan for execution of the grant. All project plans must be approved before any funding is provided.
All applicants must follow all guidelines for promotion/announcement of their awards and must provide a reciprocal link on their website homepage to their respective Chambers.
Please address all questions to Grant@NantucketChamber.org