Moving to Nantucket
Moving to Nantucket
Housing:Did you buy, build, or looking to build a home?Here are Nantucket's top services that you might need to build, renovate, or maintain a home on Nantucket!
Electricians, carpenters / builders / contractors, architects, alarm systems, carpeting & flooring services, cleaning services, custom woodwork, excavation service, hardware & building supplies, home repair & maintenance, insurance agencies, interior design, landscaping & gardening, locksmiths, mold inspection & removal, mortgages, moving company, oil heat services / delivery, plumbing, pool construction & service / maintenance, propane services / delivery, property management / caretaking services, refrigeration contractors, restoration - water & fire damage, roofing & copper work services, rubbish removal, utilities for electric & water
Health & Safety Important Numbers:
- Emergency Police, Fire, Ambulance: 911
- Police (non-emergency): 508-228-1212
- Fire Department (non-emergency): 508-228-2323
- U.S. Coast Guard Brant Point: 508-228-0398
- Nantucket Cottage Hospital (non-emergency): 508-228-1200
- 24 Hour Emergency Room Coverage: 508-825-8100
- Offshore Animal Hospital (non-emergency): 508-228-1491
- Emergency Offshore Animal Hospital (available 24 hours a day for emergencies): 508-241-5014
What is the difference between a Hurricane & a NorthEastern?
- Comcast - Cable & Internet
- DMV / Car Inspection / Fix Your Car
- Take It or Leave It / Thrift Shops
- Boat / Boating
- Movers - Your Friend With A Truck
Moving with Animals
- Offshore Animal Hospital and other animal care
- Animal Emergencies - Doctors at Offshore Animal Hospitals are available 24/7 for emergencies, call 508-241-5014
- Traveling to Nantucket with your pet by boat
- Steamship Authority - Pets are welcome on both the fast ferry & traditional ferry, but must be accompanied by their owners at all times and kept on a leash. They are not allowed in any food service area nor are they allowed on any seatings. Pets travel free.
- Hy-Line Cruises - Pets are allowed on board. They ask that you keep your pet properly leashed and not allow them on seats. Pets travel free and reservations are recommended.
- Traveling to Nantucket with your pet by plane (check with your airline prior to flying for full details)
- Cape Air / Nantucket Airlines - Pets are allowed on board for a $10 fee. Flights take about 20 minutes and it is important that you make a reservation for your pet as the airline is only allowed one pet on board, per flight. Multiple pets are accepted if from the same family. Cats always need to be in kennels and pets must be accompanies by a traveling passenger.
- Southern Airways - For Non Service, Domestic Cats and Dogs the carrier will transport domestic pets under 40 pounds, in approved airline pet carrier/kennel for a $35 fee. Tickets for passengers with pets cannot be booked online and must be booked in advance, they must be booked through the call center at 800-329-0485. Only 2 pets allowed on each flight.
- Pet-Friendly Beaches - all beaches allow pets. Children's Beach, Surfside, and Jetties are not so pet-friendly. Be a responsible owner, pick up after your dog and always keep your dog on a leash.
- Pet-Friendly Walking, Hiking Trails, and Parks - Some of the most popular include Tupancy Links, Sanford Form, and the State Forest with a dog park coming soon!
- Shop your pets needs at our local specialty pet shops
Moving With Children:
- Child Care, Babysitters,
- Early Childhood Education / Daycare: Nantucket Children's Center (Pre-K), Small Friends of Nantucket (ages 3 months - 5 years), Montessori Children's House of Nantucket (ages 2 years & 9 months - 5 years)
- Nantucket Public Schools: Nantucket Elementary School (Pre-K - 2nd Grade), Nantucket Intermediate School (3rd Grade - 5th Grade), Cyrus Pierce Middle School (6th Grade - 8th Grade), and Nantucket High School (9th Grade - 12th Grade)
- Nantucket Private Schools: Nantucket Lighthouse School (Pre-K - 8th Grade), Nantucket New School (Pre-K - 8th Grade)
- More education options
Bringing a Vehicle To The Island
There is one way to get your vehicle to Nantucket. You must take the Steamship Authority Traditional Ferry or Freight Boat. You must drive on and off your vehicle and reservations are strongly encouraged in advance.
Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles is located at 16 Broad Street
Car Inspections can be done at Don Allen Ford located at 24 Polpis Road
Auto Repair, Maintenance, & Tune Up Services available locally, view options here!
- Stop & Shop is the main grocery store on island. There is one located outside of town at 1 Sparks Avenue and one in town at 9 Salem Street! Make sure you sign up for a savings cards to take advantage of sales, coupons, & digital coupons.
- Bartlett's Farm is open majority of the year and is located in the Cisco area.
- Nantucket Meat & Fish Market & Annye's Whole Foods is located outside of the downtown & mid-island area off of Old South Road.
- Liquor / Package Stores
Top 10 Things To Know If You Are Planning To Move To Nantucket
Card at stop & shop, cuts down pricing. Name on a list for daycare, Pricing on daycare, When places shut down for the season, information on brewery, bartlett farms, bigger places outside of town, information on getting your dogs brought to the island, Vehicle transfer by ferry or personal (details), Nearest airports, Marine home center information, best coffee shop, place for breakfast, "fast food", dinning rest (which need reservations). Electric, water, trash, internet company info, dump hours and location, parking in town info.
numbers to like the hospital, police station, options for health care (primary,eye, teeth...). Vet information.